Thursday 10 March 2011

evaluation of BLENDER magazine mock up

As a part of our AS media coursework we were required to recreate a magazine so that we could understand the coventions and what was required to create a music magazine. After searching Google for appropriate magazines that I could re-create, I chose this cover for Blender magazine.
I chose this cover as I had a model that I could use who had the same hair length and colour, my model also had the same physique and skin tone as the model on the cover of Blender.

Programs
I created this magazine cover on Microsoft Word as I found this was the easiest way to do this. I managed to get the layout basically the same as the layout of the original cover, this was relitavely easy as the layout was quite simple to copy. Also the graphics and masthead were quite simple to re-create, I made these in Windows' Paint programme as I knew how to use this programme and I knew what I had to do for each of the graphics. The programme I used for editing the photo was Adobe Photoshop, this was quite difficult to use as I didn't know how it worked.

Font
Re-creating the font was quite difficult as I could not find a font that matched the original font completely as it was quite unique, however I managed to find a font that was similar on the Microsoft Word Programme. The font I used for the main headlines was found online, I managed to get these fonts pretty close to the original as they were quite easy to find. As you can see there is a large range of font sizes used on this cover, to re-create this magazine as best as I could I altered the sizes of the text so that it looks the same size as the text on the original. Some of the text needed to have the colour changed so that it looked accurate, I did this by copy and pasting the text onto the Paint programme and using the fill tool to change the colour.

Taking the photo
When I was taking the photo I came across a few problems. One of these problems was the positioning of the model, the pose that the model is in is quite difficult to re-create as her arms are in the air and in different directions. This was a problem as my models arms started to tire very quickly as it was quite an awkward pose, also the position of her head was quite awkward as everytime we took a photo the head didn't look as if it was in the right place. We overcame this problem as I decided to position the model myself, once I did this the model looked like she was in the same pose as the model on the original.
Another problem I found was that the model's hair wasn't in the right position, this was very easy to fix as I just changed the position of the models parting.

Editing the photo
As soon as I started editing the photo I immediately came across some problems, the first problem I had was that I needed to remove the background of the image as it did not look like the image on the original cover. To solve this problem I watched various Photoshop tutorials on YouTube and these were very helpful and helped me understand how to remove the background. Another problem I found was that after removing the background the edges of the photo were quite jagged, after watching some more YouTube videos I managed to make the edges a bit smoother but could not fix the problem completeley as I wasn't very experienced with Photoshop.

Problems
Most of the problems I came across I have outlined in the paragraphs above. The problems I haven't mentioned yet are the problems I had when doing the layout of the magazine, this was quite difficult as the programme I used wasn't made for the creation of magazines. Although I faced some problems, I fixed them without much hassle as there was nothing that was too difficult to fix when creating my magazine.

Improvements
If I were to improve my magazine then I would have spent a lot more time watching tutorials and practising on Photoshop. Another thing I would improve would be the text, I would have tried a lot harder to find an exact replica of the text that was used on the original magazine cover.
Overall I think my magazine cover recreation went quite well and although I faced some problems I still think that my magazine looks very similar to the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment